Fantastic Hike with lore and humor led by Wendy. Her extreme attention to detail and the fact she was well prepared beyond anything you could think of made this a fantastic and unforgettable day.
Trek Historical & Sacred Lands
Medium Difficulty Volcano Hike
Unforgettable Views & Moments
Experience the Thrill of Hiking Haleakala
Go beyond the postcard and hit the trails of Haleakala, Maui’s dormant volcano, famed for its breathtaking beauty and sacredness. Learn about the island’s history, geology, flora & fauna, and legends on this amazing hike in Haleakala National Park. You can choose from taking a stroll up the trail in the morning, or wait until the afternoon and time your arrival for an incredible Maui volcano sunset experience. Either way, you’ll have memories to cherish forever.
- $845 for 1-2 pax
- $185 each additional passenger
- Entrance fees to Haleakala National Park ($15pp)
- Picnic lunch (or pupu/dinner platter for sunset option)
- Water, juices & soda, hot beverages, snacks
- Rain ponchos
- Hiking poles
- First aid kit
- Reef-safe sunscreen
For sunset option:
- Camping chairs
- Hand warmers
Backpacks are available upon request.
- 8 am
For sunset option:
- April 21 to September 20: 1 pm
- September 21 to April 20: 12 pm
- We’ll pick you up from your hotel, cruise ship harbor, airport, or meet you at a park & ride.
- Ask for details/select your pick-up option in the booking form.
- Pick-up fee applies for West side locations.
Every day, year-round
Hiking difficulty level
- Medium (Please click the Good to Know tab before you book for more info)
- Not recommended for children under the age of eight.
What to bring
- Warm clothes
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Beach towels
Climb through and above the clouds at the volcano summit
Take a break from the heat to explore Maui’s biggest volcano
Enjoy the stunning views of the Big Island at the end of the short Pa Ka’oao Trail
Hike into the crater on the barren Sliding Sands Trail
Be amazed by the surreal and stark volcanic landscapes
Take a short nature walk to find rare Hawaiian endemic birds
Trek through native shrub land and along the crater rim to “Rainbow Bridge”
What You'll Do
From the Upper Visitor’s Center, we take the short Pa Ka’oao (White Hill Trail) which boasts great views of the Big Island as well as the cinder cones scattering the erosional valley. We’ll hike into the crater on the barren Sliding Sands Trail (about a mile down, then back up).
We then make a stop by the actual summit for the 10,023 ft elevation sign and take in the amazing views! Afterward, we head to the Halemau’u trail for a moderate 2.2 mile/3.5 km hike (roundtrip) through native shrubland and along the crater rim to get a different view into the crater. If the weather cooperates, we might even find a rainbow in the fog at Rainbow Bridge!
If you would like, we could also walk around the easy nature loop at Hosmer’s Grove for a chance to catch a glimpse at the unique endemic forest birds found nowhere else on island. This is a private tour, so we can always modify the hiking time to fit your needs so there is no need to push yourself to keep up with a group.
Good to Know
- We can shorten the hike and take breaks to fit your abilities.
- You MUST be able to hike unassisted, on rough terrain, and at an elevation for 1 to 2 hours.
- If you’re not sure, please consider our Haleakala & Iao Valley(opens in a new tab) or Haleakala & Upcountry(opens in a new tab) tour for a more mellow sightseeing experience of Haleakala.
- Guests MUST wear sturdy hiking shoes or boots (sneakers are acceptable), layered synthetic clothing (no cotton, no blue jeans), have a rain jacket, a sweater/hoodie, a hat.
See What Our Previous Guests Say
This hike is definitely a “bucket list” hike. Great service, and great experience!
Amazing day of hiking at Haleakala NP. We walked the Sliding Sands trail from the summit into the crater